As you all know Warner bros wants to reboot the Superman franchise because they didn't like what Bryan Singer did for it in the last movie, and neither did I, it was lacking. I have been trying to keep in the loop with what has been going on with this new Superman reinvention thing and so far my favorite Superman storyline that has come up is the one Mark Millar pitched to the WB which you can read up on right here. But there is a new rumor that hit the net today and it comes from one of the readers over at AICN, who they say is a reliable source for this kind of information.
Word on the street is The Wachowski Bros. are up to develop the new Superman film for Warner Bros. and that their Plastic Man movie has been put on the back burner. The source say's Director James McTeigue who recently wrapped 'Ninja Assassin' which is being produced by the Wachowskis, spilled the following information.
- McTeigue confirmed that Plastic Man was the next project in the pipeline for the Wachowskis and he had been signed on to provide Second Unit support. Says the movie has been delayed indefinitely due to a major shake up of projects at WB.
- Bryan Singer has refused to undertake a re-boot of the Superman franchise and has left the Executives at WB with no choice but to take a fresh creative direction.
- He stated the Wachowski Brothers had been approached to re-boot the franchise as a trilogy and they are currently reviewing their options as its like being asked to take the final play in a superbowl final. Says if they do agree, he will likely either succumb to providing second unit support on the movie or will champion the directorship of Plastic Man - He started to giggle as he stated its like a young child for the Brothers and they wont give that up easily.
- Says, the very thought of the brothers making a superman movie is unbelievable as they have grown up in the world of comic books and they would be ideal for the project.
- Stated that Bryan Singer is looking to move on to Logan's Run a movie to be produced by Joel Silver.
Wow. I gotta say it would be pretty exciting if all this stuff actually goes down. I think the Wachowskis would make an incredible Superman film. I know for a fact it would be a Superman film unlike any Superman film we have seen before. These guys have such a visually stimulating imagination and they can tell a decent enough story. They did an incredible job with Speed Racer! If Warner Bros are going with a trilogy, I wonder if they already have the story line that they want to use, and is that storyline the one created by Mark Millar? Should be interesting to see if these rumors become a reality.
Look at everything the Wachowski Bros have done so far, now imagine what they can bring to Superman. Awesome.