After the King Kong tour attraction was destroyed during the 2008 fire at Universal Studios, Peter Jackson and Universal teamed up to bring King Kong back to life as a brand new attraction. We reported back in February what their plans were in developing the new ride. The theme park attraction will take advantage of the advances in visual effects to bring a more realistic and ferocious Kong, that is sure to knock the fanny-pack off of any tourist. Using 3D, holograms and pyrotechnics may be a growing theme park trend, but only Universal has Weta -- the same effects team behind Avatar -- bringing their rides to life.
We now have a teaser trailer for this attraction to share with you thanks to the folks over at Crave. The ride is set to open back up this summer, and you can bet your ass I'll be there to check it out! Hope you enjoy the teaser below and let us know what ya think!
Here are some details on how the ride will be run:
- Guests on the studio tour will board a tram that will enter a 200-foot-long soundstage
- Guests must don 3-D glasses for the 2 1/2 -minute attraction
- Park visitors will not only see Kong in three dimensions but also smell his banana breath, feel the gust of wind as he jumps over the guests and sense the ground quake when the ape engages a Tyrannosaurus rex in a life-or-death battle
- The 180-foot-long screens will curve around the tram so that the 3-D images seem to surround the passengers
- A system of fans, sprayers and other devices installed in the building will spew air, water and odors at park visitors to bring the images to life
- The new ape will resemble the Kong from the 2005 film, right down to the broken canine tooth and the scars over its right eye.
- Other creatures and scenes from the movie, including caves, giant bats and dinosaurs from Skull Island, will also appear on the four-story-tall screens
- Universal Studios describes the new Kong attraction as the largest 3-D exhibit in the world