Taylor Kitsch has been cast in the lead role of Universal Pictures' adaptation of the classic board game Battleship. Kitsch is a rising star in Hollywood, he started out on the fantastic NBC series Friday Night Lights, was cast as Gambit in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and is currently starring in Disney's John Carter of Mars. Now he's jumped on board another big studio tent pole film.
Peter Berg is currently developing Battleship, and from past interviews he's expressed his excitement for it. He even ditched the production of Dune to focus on bringing Battleship together. Berg is taking Battleship to a place I never thought it would go by making the films story revolve around an alien invasion.
The script was written by Jon and Erich Hoeber, and according to THR the story has been described as a massive Naval adventure across the seas, in the skies and over land as our planet fights for survival against a superior force. The mission of the aliens is to build a power source in the ocean. Kitsch will play a Naval commander named Alex Hopper, described as "wildly spirited" and "a great seaman but a lousy politician."
Jeremy Renner from The Hurt Locker was actually up for the lead role of the film but he had to make a choice, star in a film directed by Peter berg Based on a board game, or star in Paul Thomas Anderson's new film. He obviously chose the film Anderson is developing, which was the right decision.
Here are a few more deatils about the movie that we previously posted:
Now I just want to point out some information that I thought you might find interesting that Berg talked about:
- The aliens agenda is not global domination.
- Their technology is relatable. They fire explosive ballistics, not ray guns or lasers.
- The Captain on the Destroyer (Kitsch) has a team of five guys which consist of the number two in command, the CO, the XO, and a Scotty type character from Star Trek.
- The alien ships are sea based and wont fly even thought they can. They're able to move and sort of leap at different angles, but they're killable.
- The film is likened to The Bridge On the River Kwai. The aliens are trying to build something because they're in trouble and they need a power source.
- The aliens have a similar geological makeup to us and they come from a place that has a similar ecology to ours.
- The famous line, "You sank my battleship!" will be included in the film.
- Some sequences in the film will be done in 3D, and you will be able to see the movie in IMAX.
What are your thoughts on Kitsch starring in Bergs Battleship?