For those of you who didn't know it's May 25th, and May 25th is Geek Pride Day! I'm serious! So go out into the world and embrace your geekness! Being a geek is nothing to be ashamed of, in fact geek is the new cool. Maybe back when I was growing up it wasn't, but now everyone wants to be a geek, believe it or not there are even geek posers out in the world. It's the hip thing to get into, just look at how much Comic-Con has grown over the last few years.
Here is some information about Geek Pride Day that you probably don't even know.
Geek Pride Day is an initiative which claims the right of every person to be a nerd or a geek. It has been celebrated on May 25 since 2006, celebrating the premiere of the first Star Wars movie in 1977.
It shares the same day as two other science-fiction fan 'holidays' - Towel Day, for fans of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy by Douglas Adams, and the Glorious 25th of May, for fans of Terry Pratchett's Discworld.
There's even an awesome Geek Pride Manifesto!
1. The right to be even geekier.
2. The right to not leave your house.
3. The right to not like football or any other sport.
4. The right to associate with other nerds.
5. The right to have few friends (or none at all).
6. The right to have as many geeky friends as you want.
7. The right to be out of style.
8. The right to be overweight and near-sighted.
9. The right to show off your geekiness.
10. The right to take over the world.
1. Be a geek, no matter what.
2. Try to be nerdier than anyone else.
3. If there is a discussion about something geeky, you must give your opinion.
4. To save and protect all geeky material.
5. Do everything you can to show off geeky stuff as a "museum of geekiness."
6. Don't be a generalized geek. You must specialize in something.
7. Attend every nerdy movie on opening night and buy every geeky book before anyone else.
8. Wait in line on every opening night. If you can go in costume or at least with a related T-shirt, all the better.
9. Never throw away anything related to geekdom.
10. Try to take over the world!
I gotta say I don't agree with everything on the manifesto because geeks have evolved a lot since 2006, but I think there's something in there for all of us, and it pretty entertaining.
So go out there and make the best of your day! After all this is YOUR day!