Director Peter Berg and Universal Pictures has cast True Blood actor Alexander Skarsgard to co-star in the upcoming sci-fi action film Battleship with Taylor Kitsch (Friday Night Lights). The film is an adaption from the popular Hasbro board game, but they've added a whole alien invasion element to the story to make it more interesting. My fear is the whole alien invasion thing will kill the possibility of a decent film. I was hoping for some great old school naval battles with a solid story. This movie seems like it's going to turn out to be a big special effects extravaganza with a shallow story. At least we know it will be nice to look at.
The script was written by Jon and Erich Hoeber, and the story has been described as a massive Naval adventure across the seas, in the skies and over land as our planet fights for survival against a superior force. The mission of the aliens is to build a power source in the ocean. Skarsgard will be playing Kitsch’s brother in the film, who happens to be a straight and narrow naval officer. Kitsch play a Naval commander named Alex Hopper, described as "wildly spirited" and "a great seaman but a lousy politician." He idolizes his brother.
Here are a few more deatils about the movie that we previously posted:
Here is some information that I thought you might find interesting that Berg revealed:
- The aliens' agenda is not global domination.
- Their technology is relatable. They fire explosive ballistics, not ray guns or lasers.
- The Captain on the Destroyer (Kitsch) has a team of five guys which consist of the number two in command, the CO, the XO, and a Scotty type character from Star Trek.
- The alien ships are sea based and won't fly even thought they can. They're able to move and sort of leap at different angles, but they're killable.
- The film is likened to The Bridge On the River Kwai. The aliens are trying to build something because they're in trouble and they need a power source.
- The aliens have a similar geological makeup to us and they come from a place that has a similar ecology to ours.
- The famous line, "You sank my battleship!" will be included in the film.
- Some sequences in the film will be done in 3D, and you will be able to see the movie in IMAX.
What are your thoughts on Skarsgard taking a role in Battleship?