Will a NEW MUTANTS Movie Be Announced This Summer?
Unfortunately, Fox owns all of the rights to Marvel's mutant characters, which is why you'll never see them in the same film together with any of The Avengers characters. It's kind of a sad thought that Marvel might never get to adapt any of their mutant characters for the big screen. I'd love to see what they would do with them. Fox got the last X-Men movie right, so hopefully the streak continues with the X-Men: First Class sequel, Deadpool, and The New Mutants. That's right, it looks like Fox might be announcing a New Mutants movie in the near future.
Fox CEO Tom Rothman recently did an interview with Collider and here's what he said when the New Mutants was brought up as being a potential film...
Steve: I know you guys have New Mutants and a lot of characters in the X-Men universe. Obviously you guys are moving forward on an X-Men sequel, you’re moving forward on Wolverine, do you envision New Mutants or some of these other characters as franchises that the door can be open to? It does seem to me that the superhero genre is bigger than it’s ever been, and you guys have some of the crown jewels.
Rothman: (smiles) Yes.
When can fans expect an announcement on some of these other properties? Before Comic-Con, after Comic-Con, at Comic-Con?
Rothman: In the summer.
Are you talking to filmmakers right now?
Rothman: Let me just say this. All I have to say is, I agree with you in your assessment of the potential in a lot of these characters.
Adapting The New Mutants into a feature film is definitely a step in the right direction for the studio. There's a ton of potential there, and like any of these Marvel character it could make for a great movie if the studio gets the right team of talent to bring it to life. I guess we'll find out for sure what's happening with these characters this summer.
The New Mutants are a group of teenaged mutant superheroes-in-training with Professor Charles Xavier, and are a spin-off of the popular X-Men franchise. The original team consisted of:
- Karma (Xi'an Coy Manh), a 19-year-old Vietnamese girl and the team's original leader, who could mentally possess other people's bodies.
- Cannonball (Samuel Guthrie), a mild-mannered Kentuckian and eventual co-leader after Karma's "death," who became nigh-invulnerable when rocketing through the air.
- Wolfsbane (Rahne Sinclair), a Scot who could transform into a wolf-like creature.
- Psyche (Danielle Moonstar, also called Mirage and Moonstar), a Cheyenne and eventual co-leader after Karma's "death," who could create visual empathic three-dimensional illusions.
- Sunspot (Roberto da Costa), a Brazilian who gained superhuman strength fueled by sunlight and could store solar energy in his body to use his super strength during the night.
What are your thoughts on Fox possibly moving forward with an adaptation of The New Mutants?