Ron Howard Reshot a lot More of SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY Than Originally Intended
There were only about three weeks left of filming when Lucasfilm fired directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller from Solo: A Star Wars Story. Ron Howard was hired to replace them and finish the film. We know that Howard also came in to do some reshoots on the film but we didn't really have confirmation of how much. Now, it seems like those rumors of the film being "nearly all" reshot could be true. Paul Bettany has confirmed that the director ended up reshooting a lot more of the film than he or Lucasfilm originally intended.
In an interview with Total Film, Bettany talked about the director's work on the film and in the process revealed that Lucasfilm let him keep reshooting the parts of the film that he felt needed to be reshot.
“His staging ability is so fucking brilliant…I think he went in and he was like a laser, working out what needed to be done when he looked at the footage. And then, as things moved on, everybody felt so secure with him. And they gave him more. He reshot a lot more than was originally intended.”
Bettany was a part of these reshoots and it's said that he was brought in to replace Michael K. Williams. When talking about the character he plays and being on the set of the film, he said:
"Suddenly, I'm an intergalactic gangster and I'm walking down some stairs and an R2 unit goes by with some champagne, and I'm like... [drops jaw] I had that feeling that I hadn't had since I was first on a film set - I was a little boy doing the best job in the world."
He previously said that the movie is going to be a gangster film, so that could be fun. I just want to finally see some kind of official first look at the film! It's hard to be excited about this movie without having seen anything from it so hopefully we get somthing soon.
Solo stars Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Joonas Suotamo. It's set to be released on May 25, 2018.