Check out this fantastically awesome stop motion animated Toy Story short film that was made using real Toy Story toys. The short was made to promote a new line of Toy Story toys called Toy Story: Space Mission, and both Mattel and Disney teamed up to create it. It was made in a way that expresses a childs imagination, something I think all of us can relate to, since we all use to be kids who let our imaginations run wild when we played with our own toys.
Here's a note from the YouTube page:
Buzz, Woody, and Rex have gone to outer space to defeat the evil Emperor Zurg! AND they're doing it in space style, with new action figures and space ship from Mattel featuring Woody and Rex in space suits for the first time and a slick new look for Buzz too! Catch the all new Toy Story "toymation" adventure made with real toys, stop-motion animation and a wild imagination! Take a trip in the Command Center and let us know how you would defeat the evil Emperor Zurg.
Here are a bunch of cool facts about this film:
- It took a crew of 8 people over more than 1300 hours and a span of 4 weeks to complete the toymation
- Every second needed 12 frames of pictures
- Every shot needed at least 3 takes, many of which had to be done separately with each toy and then composited together later
- Each toy had to be taken apart and reassembled with wire and museum putty in order to be rigged properly to animate
- The dust bunnies were created from an old carpet the team almost threw out right before production on the toymation project began
- The crew made 5 trips to the supermarket to clear out their asparagus, big broccoli heads, and artichokes to build the vegetable forest set
Check out the Toy Story short film below and tell us what you think!