According to a recent interview between TheOneRing.net, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles co-creator Kevin Eastman, the new Ninja Turtle film will include the same style of Indonesian martial arts fighting style that was used in Gareth Evans‘ film The Raid. If they could effectively pull this off it could be extremely badass. If you've seen The Raid then you know how fast, furious and bone-breakingly brutal this style of fighting can be.
I'd love to see the Ninja Turtles brutally kicking ass like we've never seen them do before, it'd be amazing. I've been very skeptical of this movie since Michael Bay said that the Turtles would be alien, but the awesomeness of this fighting style sparks my interest. What do you think about this kind of martial arts being used in the movie?
The movie is set to be directed by Jonathan Liebesman (Wrath of the Titans) from a script by Josh Appelbaum and Andre Nemec. Production of the film was recently shut down, but apparently it will go back into production and released in May of 2014.
Here's a time breakdown of where in the video you can listen to what.
- 21:55 - What inspired TMNT
- 30:00 - Star Wars influence on the backstory
- 47:25 - Discusses Nickelodeon's new animated show
- 51:15 - Describes his involvement with Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles
- 52:15 - Comments on fan's negative reaction to Bay's Alien race remarks, and defends Michael Bay as a filmmaker
- 1:01:30 - April O'Neil will NOT be a sixteen year old in Bay's Ninja Turtles
- 1:05:00 - The original live-action film bridged the gap of the black and white comic books and the cartoon show
- 1:07:55 - Kevin Eastman thinks Ken Watanabe would make a great Shredder
- 1:08:25 - He'd like to bring Ernie Reyes, Jr. (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II) back for Bay's Ninja Turles as a Foot lieutenant.
- 1:31:00 - Possibility of motion capture Turtles like Rise of the Planet of the Apes
- 1:32:55 - Martial arts wise they are looking at Fist of Legend & The Raid: Redemption