E3 is over, but that hasn’t stopped Bioware from releasing oodles of gameplay footage from the demo for Dragon Age: Inquisition that was previously only available at the show. Part one emphasizes the combat and teamwork needed to bring down normal foes, as well as one of the multiple dragons that populate the world. Part two focuses on a small sliver of the narrative, and revolves around a mission gone awry. Each one features commentary by Mike Laidlaw to boot, so they are well worth a watch to get a handle on how some of the new systems play.
The developers also recently participated in a Q&A session, so a bit was learned from that as well.
So after my drool fest, here are a couple of things I took away from it all.
1. Iron Bull is amazing, just peep the trailer for all the evidence needed to back that claim up. Plus, eye patches are cool. Ask Deathstroke.
2. Dorian's mustache is a thing to behold.
3. The Dragons' movements are much more fluid, and I love that you can now target specific body parts when in combat.
4. That tactical menu is a godsend. I anticipate many will feel the same.
5. No one does banter like Bioware. The commentary in the background makes traveling across a big map worthwhile.
6. I love that the world actually changes according to your actions, at least in small ways. Hunt an animal too much and it will no longer be plentiful in that area. Likewise, if the inquisition takes an area you will see your patrols throughout.
7. Sadly, there was no glimpse of Sandal, but in the Q&A they left open the possibility for his return, so here’s hoping.
Everyone must now say "ENCHANTMENT" before continuing on. Go on, it's okay, no one will judge you.
8. The combat looks vastly more fluid and epic than in previous games. Swords and axes have a meaty sound to them when swung, and even the mages shake the ground a little as they slam their staffs downward. The sound design seems on point.
9. In the Q&A, it was brought up that the Keep, currently in closed beta, will be opening up for public use in August or September. That is where you will shape your world with your past choices.
10. Horses, Horses, Horses, Horses. Yeah, for those who got that, it was a Sleepless in Seattle reference, and no, I am not ashamed. Beyond just horses there are a few other types of steeds, including one with lizard-like scales.
Well, that was my take. Let us know what you are most looking forward to (or not looking forward to) in the comments.