The Weinstein Company is looking to get into the TV business, and they are in the process of developing several TV series, including adaptations of Frank Miller's Sin City and Stephen King's The Mist. Both of these are properties that have potential to be great series.
While talking to the New York Times, Harvey Weinstein talked about their TV division, saying, “The way to add stability to the company is to be in the television business,” he then went on to say that his goal was to have a television operation “as powerful as the theatrical division.”
They currently have more than a half a dozen series in development, those series include:
- A 10-part series with Frank Darabont, based on Dimension’s film version of Stephen King’s The Mist.
- Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez would develop a Sin City TV series.
- A 10-episode detective drama set in ancient Egypt called Book of the Dead.
- A 10-episode series called 10 Commandments, based on one of the commandments handed to Moses.
- A martial arts-filled adventure series called Marco Polo.
- A 14-episode retelling of Tolstoy’s Napoleonic war novel War and Peace.
- Stan and Ollie, which is about the later days of the Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy comedy team.
- An Entourage-like comic series, based loosely on the adventures of the celebrity chef Michael Chiarello.
- There's also potential for a series based on David O. Russell's Silver Linings Playbook.
- Then there's the previously announced Scream series.
All of these are in the early stages of planning, but there is a lot of potential here for some really good series that audiences can enjoy. What do you think of these projects, and which ones are you most excited for?