MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE Director Travis Knight Explains How He Finally Got the Long-Stalled Movie Off the Ground

After years of false starts, studio changes, and abandoned versions, Masters of the Universe is finally heading to theaters. Now director Travis Knight is opening up about what he believes helped break the curse surrounding a project that spent more than a decade trapped in development limbo.

Speaking with DiscussingFilm, Knight reflected on the long and complicated road that brought Masters of the Universe to the big screen. For him, the answer wasn't reinventing the property or approaching it with a layer of irony. It came down to something much simpler… actually loving the source material.

Knight explained: “It’s one of those properties that’s been famously snakebitten for decades, and for me, getting it right was important that everyone involved really understood what the material was and actually had genuine affection for what it is, which I do.”

That mindset seems to have shaped the entire production. Masters of the Universe has been one of Hollywood's most difficult genre projects to launch. Sony Pictures acquired the rights back in 2009, kicking off a revolving door of filmmakers, writers, and creative directions. Over the years, multiple versions were developed, but none ever managed to make it into production.

The project eventually landed at Netflix, which reportedly spent around $30 million developing its own take before pulling the plug in July 2023. It looked like Prince Adam's return to the screen might be dead in the water again.

Then Amazon MGM Studios stepped in. In May 2024, Knight was officially announced as director, replacing the Nee Brothers, who had been attached to the film since 2018. With a new studio and a fresh creative vision in place, the project finally gained momentum.

What makes Knight's comments particularly interesting is his insistence on treating the material with sincerity. In an era where many genre adaptations lean heavily into self-awareness and satire, he wanted to embrace the world of Eternia rather than distance himself from it.

Knight said: “We do live in an age of detachment, of irony, sort of arm’s length judgement, and that’s not how I approach any of my work.”

According to the filmmaker, he poured a significant chunk of his life into making sure the movie worked. While Masters of the Universe certainly contains the larger-than-life elements fans expect, Knight says the creative team approached it with genuine respect.

He explained: “Even though there’s silliness to it, there’s cheekiness to it, there’s some irreverence to it, at the heart, we passionately believe in this world, and we took it very, very seriously, even though the movie itself is very funny.”

That combination could end up being exactly what fans have been hoping for. Masters of the Universe has always lived in a unique space where epic fantasy, outrageous characters, cosmic mythology, and toy-inspired fun collide. Trying to strip away those elements or mock them was probably never going to be the right path.

Principal photography took place in London between January and June 2025, and now fans are finally counting down the days until they can see what Knight and his team have created.

The upcoming fantasy adventure stars Nicholas Galitzine as Prince Adam, alongside Camila Mendes, Jared Leto, Alison Brie, and Idris Elba.

After spending more than 15 years bouncing between studios and creative teams, Masters of the Universe is set to hit theaters in the United States on June 5, 2026, through Amazon MGM Studios.

Whether the film lives up to the enormous expectations remains to be seen, but if Knight's comments are any indication, this is a version made by people who genuinely wanted to honor the world of He-Man and Eternia.

GeekTyrant Homepage